Monday, April 23, 2012

Paint for a Cause at the Community Painting Party!


Adults and young-adults can have a good time at Chicken Stock during “Paint-for-a-Cause” , held at “The Community Paint Party” during Saturday's Chicken Stock.

John Cannon, Minster at First United Methodist Church, typically shares his art with family and friends by having pieces he has created displayed in his office and home.

I love talking with people about their reactions to the works,” said Cannon, who feels the arts can positively affect people's lives.

I believe the process of doing art and enjoying art of all varieties- visual, music, literary, ect- fosters creativity and deep thinking in all other aspects of life.”

Cannon became interested in art from an early age.

My great grandmother was an artist, and when I was very young I ran across some of her old oil paints and started playing with the colors,” he said. “I have been hooked ever since.”

Approximately six years ago, Cannon started painting in on a more regular basis.

I did some landscapes and portraits, but found I really enjoyed abstract works to experiment with color and texture,” he said.

Participants in Paint-for-a-Cause can register to paint with Cannon and create abstract pieces of art.

Broussard will show participants how to paint a “whimsical-folk-flower” or “funky chicken.”

I started my own after-school enrichment for children some twenty years ago,” Broussard said. “In my effort to provide a nurturing and imaginative space for children, I also wanted to teach them the joys of creating works of art.”
Broussard has organized the 18 Chicken Stock, or Spring Arts Festivals, as well as running Cultural Crossroads as the chairman of the board.

It's so important for everyone, children and adults alike, to have a creative outlet,” Broussard said.

The Community Paint Party cost $10 per session and will take place on Saturday, April 28.
Proceeds cover the cost of supplies and all proceeds will go to Cultural Crossroad's Chicken Stock festival.
To register call Jeri Bloxom at 318-299-3643 or email her at jubilantjeri@gmail.com
The schedule for the ninety minute art sessions are as follows:
9:30am-11:00pm John Cannon (abstract)
11:30am-1:00pm Chris Broussard (Zen Flower)
1:30pm-3:00pm John Cannon (abstract)
3:30pm-5:00pm Chris Broussard (Funky Chicken)

No comments: